Monday, December 9, 2013

Sugar Cookies, Noodle necklaces and a Thankful Heart. It's all worth it.

Hey friends!

Yeah, i'm done starting out each post with "oh em geeee it's been so long... sorry I SWEAR I am back to blogging regularly.... blah. blah. blaaaaaah......."

Life's been busy since the beginning of the fall. I'm over it. I've been in a blogging rut. So much is going on and I can't barely process through it all enough to write about any of it.

There are days when I am sure I am ruining my children. Then there are days when I am sure they are ruining me. Today was a little of both.

It's the holiday season, and Christmas will be here in 16 days (the only reason I know that is 'cause "Santa" told my boys that today). Am I prepared? no. Have I begun to shop? not so much. Do we have a tree yet? yes.... Does it have lights or ornaments yet? mmmm... no.

Currently Max and Gabriel are watching a Christmas movie. And Eli is in the kitchen I think, doing dishes. I'm sorta over this day. Mama needs a minute to write it out.

I tried creating fun Christmas memories tonight. I brought my boys (by myself) to our neighborhood coffee shop and eatery Groundswell since they hosted a little party for the kiddos with Santa, cookie decorating and crafts. We got there and the kids had a ball slathering gobs of frosting and spilling piles of sprinkles and candies decorating their cookies. The shop's baker, Megan, was so sweet and patient, allowing for total culinary artistic freedom. It was wonderful. I sipped my vanilla latte and was proud of myself for getting through the stress of getting them out the door in sub-zero weather.

That lasted about 15 minutes from the beginning of decorating to cookies being eaten. Then it was craft time. We took a break to meet with Santa. And of course Max asked me if Santa was real on our way back to the crafts.

Gabriel wasn't about to sit on that man's lap. he wouldn't even get close.

Santa explained to Max that it's important to be a good big brother and to be a good helper.
He wasn't messin' around. he knows Max's type.

Gabe decided to join in to the conversation about what everyone wanted for Christmas.
"I want a arrow and bow!" to which Santa replied, "well... I'll have to talk it over with your mother..."
If Santa was real, I'd want him to be just like this one. 

(**We don't do Santa in our house, so it's confusing for him when we tell him that in our house mama and daddy bring the gifts, and then he meets the jolly guy in real life. We explain that Santa was a real dude, a nice and generous guy who lived long ago and that  people pretend to be him every year around Christmas just for fun. I reminded him in a quiet whisper in front of the other excited kiddos waiting in line**)

Luckily my friend was there to help out during the noodle-bell necklace craft or I think I would've lost it. Max was irritating his brothers. Gabriel was freaking out over where his goody bag was (all while doing the "pee dance" since he refused to go potty before we left the house). Luckily Eli was being a pretty good boy. It was time to go, and as I stuffed their sticky candy cane stained hands in to their gloves, of course Eli spilled his glass of water, of course Max was actin' a fool and Gabe was trying to run out the door. Then my cheeks started to get hot and my throat tightens and I am wondering WHY THE HECK I THOUGHT I COULD PULL THIS OFF BY MYSELF. (Matt was working)

All in the name of trying-to-create-sweet-memories for my kids. Who knows. Who knows if they'll remember or not. If they'll remember that mom was stressed or if they'll just remember that mom braved whatever the turn out was going to be and did it anyway.

Bottom line: They had a huge sugar cookie piled high with frosting and sprinkles for dinner. They got to make their first noodle necklaces with bells on yarn. They got a pep talk from Santa.

On the way out to the car as I am acting like a chicken with her head cut-off  hustling my chicks in a row, I hear a "THANKTH MOM FOR BINGING UTH TO THE COFFEE THOP!"

There. There it was. A thankful heart. It was worth it.
I'm exhausted. I'm just glad they got full off the cookies.

Gabe just saw my new fox earrings and asked "mom? what does the fox say?" Cue the fox song. They know it by heart.

peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment