Wednesday, December 11, 2013

broken hearts lead to making a change

This past summer I became friends with one of the most wonderful women in the world. At our first playdate the kids gave us long enough periods of uninterrupted talk time that we were able to share our hearts on so many issues.  One huge heart ache that we had in common was over sex trafficking.

My eyes were opened to the huge overwhelming issue of sex trafficking a few years ago when my parents returned home from the One Thing conference at The International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I had no idea that this atrocity took place in the United States, and even here in Minnesota. At the conference they debuted the preview for a documentary. I wept as I watched. Over a year later I attended the documentary and it forever changed me.



But what difference could I make? How could I help? I'm just a stay-at-home-mama in Minnesota. I don't have time to volunteer. I don't have extra money to give. I have no resources to contribute to the fight for the lives of the women and children affected by sex trafficking.

I kept asking God "what am I supposed to do?! How can I help?!"

I have two friends that are making a difference in their own ways.

My friend Rachel started a makeup company called "be Lovely". She does home parties and raises awareness about women stuck in the sex industry. She sells beautiful lipsticks, lip glosses, eye shadows and liners that are all named after women and their beautiful attributes. She donates a percentage of her sales to organizations that help these women. You can check out her website at http://www.belovely.com/

My other friend Kjersti started a ministry called "Beautiful and Loved" that spreads love and encouragement to women in the sex industry. She and her team deliver gift bags and care packages to these women, reminding them that they are of great worth and value. You can find her website at http://www.beautifulandloved.com/

Recently my friend Jocelyn shared with me about a new business that empowers women out of poverty. Many women around the world try to claw their way out of poverty by working in a sweat shop or selling their bodies. Some are forced to abandon their babies or watch them starve and are so desperate that they are forced in to making money in dangerous, unfair and unhealthy ways. Trades of Hope partners with organizations that are giving women opportunities to make money at at livable wages. They are reaching out to women because statistically it is shown that when one woman is helped out, she brings four others with her.



My job is to be a voice for these women by sharing their stories and marketing their handcrafted goods. In return they receive wages that enable them to feed their families, get health care and send their babes to school. I even get a percentage that enables me to help support my family too.


This is a tangible way that I can help these women, raise awareness, and help make a difference even when I am deep in the trenches of raising small children and a busy family life.

If you would like to help in the most simplest way, if you would like to give a gift that is fair-trade and that helps make a difference this Christmas, please check out the website and place an order before December 16th to ensure that it is delivered on time.
Click   here to see my website and to look at the catalog. 




I've gotten so much support and confirmation in what I am doing with Trades of Hope. I am excited to see where it takes me this next year. 

If you have any questions or want to book a party with me, you can email me at sierrahegstrom@hotmail.com.

Peace be with you on this CHILLY Minnesota afternoon. The high for today is -1. I got to spend the morning with my sweet neighbor friend and her kiddos as we sipped coffee and had good conversation. I am so grateful for other mamas to spend time with during these dreadfully cold days. Hope you are staying warm today.

1 comment:

  1. I had a lovely morning as well! Warmed my soul! Just saw this horrific info posted on FB. http://facts.randomhistory.com/human-trafficking-facts.html

    ReplyDelete