Friday, September 13, 2013

beauty and fullness in the brokeness

Today was the first day that it has actually felt like fall. After I sent my emotional boy off on the school bus I decided to forego the breakfast dishes and other morning tasks, and load the kids up in to the car. I decided to bring the kids over to this little park that we love over by our church off of Hamline and Selby. It's a sweet little park tucked in to this little nook near a bridge that is under construction. It is designed for kids ages 2-5, and with the construction of the bridge, the kids have full view of all the happenings going on with the huge equipment and busy "worker guys". This park is a favorite for my kids.

Whenever I go to the park, especially if I am not meeting up with other mamas, I always look forward to chatting with parents there. So what's your playground pick-up line? Mine is "So.... do you guys live around here?" or “So how old is your little one?” HA! Seriously. Those are my playground parent pick-up lines. And seriously you need to figure out what yours is because it is so awesome to connect with new people, especially people in similar stages and phases.

Do you think I am crazy? I'm not... I swear. I just like people. A lot.

We all have such amazing life stories. I love hearing about people's lives. And I love sharing my life stories (when people want to know it, of course.)

When we got to the park we had the whole place to ourselves. So I checked my email stayed busy chasing little ones around, sipped on my coffee, and inhaled the sweet crisp air of our newly arriving autumn. Soon a young hippy dad with a head full of dreads neatly tucked in to his rastacap came around the corner, carrying his little boy. I almost had tears in my eyes as I watch this dad play with his boy: helping him to climb, holding his hand as he walked down the stairs, chasing him around…. all from his wheelchair.

I was so curious about his story. His little boy was about the same age as Eli.  I used my line. “So do you guys live around here?”  He explained that they just lived across the street, and that they come here often. I explained that our neighborhood park is connected to a school so that we had to venture out of the ‘hood during the school year to play.

Then slowly we started up a conversation and I got to hear one of the most beautiful life stories I had ever heard. He had gotten a spinal cord injury only two years ago. He fell from a tree. His son was born just months after. Things didn’t work out between him and his girlfriend, so he now lives with his loving and supportive parents as he is finding his way in this world as a dad, a musician, a student and a paraplegic.

He talked to me about what it was like when he was in a coma for three weeks. He let me ask questions about what it was like, and if he remembered anything during that time. I had always been curious as to if my dad was aware of anything during his short time in a coma, and it actually  really helped me to hear what his experience was like.  He let me ask him about what his grief was like after he learned and fully understood that he would never walk again. He let me ask lots of questions. He was totally transparent. I got to hear about how his experience has helped him to grow, become more spiritual, become more grateful and even more hopeful. It was so powerful. His genuine smile testified to his joy. This was real joy.  He talked about how it’s a choice each day to be positive and to venture out, and that his son has been such a gift during the trials. “If it weren't for him, I’d probably be inside playing video games all day” he said.  Instead he was at a park playing in the sun with his boy.

I got to share bits and pieces of my story too. About my dad, about how we lived with my parent’s for a season too. We shared so many commonalities: we both attested to having great parents, good relationships with our siblings, awesome boys, human services majors, love for our kids, etc. I left that park feeling so happy and inspired.

We are all so broken. Some of us have broken spirits, broken hearts, broken bodies, broken relationships, broken families.

So what do we do with the brokenness? Do we allow it to consume us and bring us down? Or do we allow beauty to come out of it? We have to find fullness again. It will look different, but we are able to be made new again even after the most tragic of life circumstances.

This guy was a perfect example of this. Even though he was broken, he radiates beauty and fullness through the life that he is establishing and choosing to live every day.

So what’s the glue that puts you back together after the brokenness?  

My glue? My God.

My husband can’t fix my brokenness. My mama can’t either (and moms are supposed to be able to fix EVERYTHING!) Only God has what it takes to put me back together.
Today I am thankful that out of brokenness there can come beauty and (even stronger!) fullness.

Find your glue people, and slather it on.

(source)

No comments:

Post a Comment