Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A little encouragement from a fellow mama

I met Bridget 12 years and one month ago when I arrived at Esperanza Viva as a young girl on a mission to serve Puebla, Mexico's little orphans. My first room assignement was with Bridget and 12 little girls under 8 years old. We loved each other like best friends and fought like sisters. We had a million inside jokes and a hundred times we disagreed over something or another. We teased each other over cute boys, our home towns, and our lack of fashion sense out on the mission field. Many nights we stayed up way too late crying and laughing together as we talked for hours. We co-parented many children together, held each other accountable and were a huge support to one another... and we had a lot of fun that year.

Now as the years have passed, we are still close. Just last year she was able to finally make it to Minnesota with her family. Our husbands and children got to meet. It was a total dream come true.

Hegstrom/Tucci-Gomez boys getting dirty and climbing

Twelve of us successfully sat around that table and had a few meals together, slept under the
same roof and even got a long for three whole days!

This sweet thang stole my heart (little Gracie)

Hers and mine. Add one niece and minus Max
(who was too cool for the picture since he had a little crush on said niece
pictured in the middle)

Bridget and her handsome Miguel

Me and my hermana
Bridget and I check in on Facebook regularly. Sometimes it's a cry of desperation on the rough days, and sometimes it's excitement over happy things.

She contacted me last week with a guest post. Enjoy!

Parenting is hard. We already knew that. Some days some people's kids make the day especially hard. Some seasons it feels like one little person (kid... 2 year old boy, you fill in the blank) makes it his or her goal to make every day a little harder for us as moms. 
 
So today was one of those days. One shenanigan after another. One mess to clean up, including diaper messes, after another. One correction after another. One whine after another. In the midst of it, I started to rant to my little tribe (4 of them, two boys and two girls, to be exact) about how they were just "making this harder for mommy".... And I reached out for a truth in God's word that made the light bulb flick on in my head.


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, 

and I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, 
for I am gentle and lowly in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 

(Matthew 11:25, 28-30 ESV)


While I am spending a lot of time pointing the finger at the kiddies and saying how they make it all harder, Jesus says to come to Him and learn from Him .....and find rest for our souls ....and that His yoke is easy, and His burden is light. Hanging out with Jesus will make a hard day easier, not harder. It will be restful, and not a heavy burden. Such truth! 

Thanks for sharing your heart Bridget. Be encouraged mamas.

If you would like to hear about how Bridget and her husband are continuing to serve the youth of Esperanza Viva, click here and then select the fourth picture over)

No comments:

Post a Comment