Thursday, January 30, 2014

A guest post.

It's funny. This week two of my friends have contacted me with the desire to share on my blog. I'm generous (and have been too busy to blog out my thoughts lately) so I said "YES PLEASE!"

One of my friends is Steph. She just texted me yesterday and said "I got a post for you." and I agreed to post it. She e-mailed it to me. Then I read it. Then I cried. She told me that I could change it. She told me that I could edit it and take out the swear word.

This is hard for me to post, because when I said "yes" I had no idea what it was going to be about. As I read it my heart burst with love. My friend loves me. And she knows that I love her. I have never read anything like this before. No one has ever typed out these descriptions of me, especially for me to read. 


I'm deciding to post it because she is forcing me to because I want to show you that when you make the effort to pour in to friends and loved ones, it makes a huge impact, and if you are lucky, they will pour back in to you... which Steph has done on so many occasions. 


She really is the octopus that stays stuck on my face. 


The “Friend” everyone should have…
It all started with a couple of little boys who have been friends for over 30 years. Matt and Mike are our husbands, and it just so happens that nothing will ever bust them apart. They’re brothers. They’ve been through the good, the bad, and the ugly…just as real brothers should. So it goes that as their wives, we (me and Sierra) are expected to get along and hang out.
the husbands
the wives
So we did. We got together and hung out. We went to the movies, we grilled out in their backyard, we even went camping together. Though when we would talk about each other it was always, “Matt’s best friend’s wife…” or “Mike’s wifey” and so our friendship began. You know, one of those, friendship by marriage kind of things. Except that it wasn’t. When I moved to the Twin Cities, she was pretty much my ONLY friend here, and was she really my friend, or was she simply “Matt’s wife”?
So she has this thing with all her friends where they all have a special name. There’s her BFF, who from I can tell is her best friend. But then there’s her LP (Life Partner) and from what I can tell, she’s her best friend. And then there’s her Seester, which you guessed it, is probably her best friend. Let’s just put it this way: SO many women think Sierra is her best friend, that there are probably a dozen half-heart necklaces in her jewelry box, if you know what I mean. The girl gets around. 
 ANYWAY-

I could never figure out how I fit into the friend equation. She knows some of the deepest, darkest shit stuff that I have ever been through, and she makes me feel like her only friend in the world (that’s how her light shines on you).  Yet, I have met so many of her friends and she is not possessive in the slightest.
So what DO you call a friend like this??
A friend that will make YOU dinner even though she has 3 of her own kids and watches 2 more during the day, and oh yeah, "I just painted my living room while I was making you soup."
A friend that just calls and says, “I have Ben and Jerry’s in my freezer and you can come whenever you want.”
A friend that will spend a year praying with you faithfully every Sunday that you will have the baby of your dreams…
A friend that hosts a legit cocktail party at her house and then proceeds to make you hot, doing your hair and makeup, before other guests arrive…cause did I tell you that she could do hair professionally? She’s that good. And she wants YOU to look hot.

A friend that shows up at the hospital at 10 o’clock at night to be with you after you just gave birth. Then breaks the news that your mom was just in a car accident leaving the hospital….but don’t worry, it’ll be fine, just a fender bender, your husband’s taking care of her. Oh, and did I mention she convinced the nurse to give me a mixed drink and then proceeded to teach me how to breastfeed until 1 am when my husband got back. Yes. That kind of a friend.

A friend that listens when you call her hysterically crying about your dumb awesome husband, family drama, or how much breastfeeding REALLY FRICKIN' hurts.
A friend that if you don’t call her for a month, she’s not secretly holding a grudge against you (ain't nobody got time for that and she knows it).
A friend that is now the godmother of my sweet baby boy…

A friend that stands strong for her brothers and sister after her dad died and they lost their house.
A friend that loves Jesus, loves her kids, loves her husband, and will love on you- no matter what.

She’s Sierra. She’s my friend, and really, the friend that everyone should have.

2 comments:

  1. " SO many women think Sierra is her best friend, that there are probably a dozen half-heart necklaces in her jewelry box, if you know what I mean"
    This is so great I can see this in you for sure sierra! You are an amazing lady and each and every person feels important and special by the time and attention you give to them, I do. You're pretty great lady!!! -becca

    ReplyDelete