Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A few findings in my cozy little casita


Well we are just about done with the unbelievably chilly cold front that just swept through the good ol' MN. 
I feel so fortunate to have a warm house.
Just before it hit we spent an afternoon sledding near our house with some of our favorite neighbors. While Eli slept and daddy cleaned the basement at home, Maximo, Gabriel and I walked through the snowy streets to the park near our house. See kids? I am a fun and nice mom sometimes.


Over the last few weeks with holidays and numerous gatherings of friends and family at our house, I enjoyed making my house feel warm and welcoming for my loved ones. 

I spend most of my time on our main level. So that is where I spend the most time decorating and cleaning. I love changing up the decor when the season's change. Recently my friend did a class about finding her decor style. I don't know what mine is, but I know that everything that I display is meaningful, has a purpose or just makes me feel happy. Here are a few updates of the findings in my cozy casita.

This is a tea cup and saucer from my friend, Halie's wedding last year.
The beehive candle is from my neighbor Amy.
The greenery is from my mama.

I sure love little plants.
The cider jug is an antique my MIL found among abandoned items in an elderly neighbor's home.
Dipped pine cones from a Christmas season project.
Our neighbor got us the wooden manikin for Christmas. Reminds me of the one my parents had.

More and more... 

And more greenery.

I still need to get pictures in my empty frames.

I just hung this mirror in the entry way.
A little floral wreath adorns the top.

And in the wreath is an awesome sign my friend made with her
wood burning kit. "Dude... slow your roll" is a frequent saying coming from my mouth. 
I simplified our entry way dresser.
We decided to keep hats/gloves/mittens/scarves
in here this year. It's worked out super well.
I love having a chalk board sign in my porch. 

There are two rooms in our house that have not been formally decorated. Our bathroom and our bedroom. 
Someday our bedroom will be painted and pretty when Matt let's me take over and decorate the way that I want to, but until then I decided that I could at least decorate my corner the way I want to.

My corner is the furthest from the closet. It is always a mess, always has a pile of clothes that I need to put away and never looks pretty or organized. 

So I pintrested the heck out of it transformed it and now it is so cute to look at. It's also functional and makes me less likely to fill with clothing that will never make it to the closet. And how much did I spend? (I'm making a 'zero' with my fingers and looking through it) ZERO DOLLARS!

My mama got me these sweet bird cage hooks last year. (Thanks ma!)  I had no where to hang them
until NOW! How cute are they? And I still have another one that is a pretty vintage blue
that I'll be able to use somewhere else.
This frame thingy I made when my friend brought over  some
left over chicken wire (thanks Andrea!)
I had the empty frame from when my friend left me treasures
when she moved to Florida (thanks Cindy!)
And  here it is! TAAAAH DAH!!!!
Husband hung up a third rack for my scarves and so now they all fit! (Thanks babe!)
Next project on my to-do list.... 
tackling that mess that is
 the top of my dresser. Yikes.

Still need to hang a few more dangly earrings.
And then figure out how to display my studs for easy access.
And figure out what to do with all the other little
mis-matched things.
So, there's that. A light and airy little post about the little things and simple tasks that make my heart happy these days. Hope you all are finding little ways to make your days go by just a little bit smoother and brighter.

Also I thought I'd add a little picture from Christmas. Our Christmas was simple and sweet. 

Our little boys on Christmas morning right before they got to open their presents.
They couldn't have been happier.
Good night!

3 comments:

  1. Cute! You make it so homey at your place!

    For the stud earrings: needlepoint mesh. I just did mariah's earnings that way. They're tucked away in a drawer so no one sees it, but I've seen it put in picture frames on etsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is needlepoint mesh? I will have to look it up. I have a sweet frame that I can use it in too! Thanks for the idea Rachel!

      Delete
    2. It's the plastic grid like stuff used in needlepoint. I had never heard of it either I just stumbled on it in Michael's one day and use it for "sewing practice" for Mariah.

      Delete