Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Christmas 2012 and New Years'



This year we had so much to celebrate. And so many opportunities to celebrate! I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I should have. So this will be an Instagram photo collage. Usually I get super creative and make gifts, this year I did a little bit. I just didn't have a lot of time/money. I painted mugs, made a few dolls, and that was it. 

mugs for a few family members

this is what my kids do while i try to be creative and make gifts... dangit.

i tried to wrap them all fancy and cute. and it worked, they looked
super fancy and cute.
                                       
howard christmas
We got to go to a Christmas party at the Howard's house in south Minneapolis. They just bouhgt a huge Victorian mansion and it was decorated so beautifully with trees and lights and a Christmas tree as tall as my house! They provided childcare so that grown-ups could enjoy the party kid-free as the little ones watched a movie, did crafts and ate upstairs. It was amazing. I wore a great dress, a beautiful necklace, some super hot high heels and I just felt pretty. Matt wore his suspenders and a tie. But did we remember to take a picture? Nope. Ugh. We never remember to. But me and the boys took a picture when we got home. 
I still felt pretty, even taking a picture with some dirty boys and a red balloon.

hegstrom christmas
We spent Christmas Eve with Matt's family. It was so fun. We spent the afternoon decorating cookies, the boy played video games, and we wooed over baby Micah. We had a simple meal of sandwiches, chili, and Warren's famous clam chowder. 
My sweet sisters-in-law and my lovely mother-in-law
I got so blessed marrying in to the Hegstrom family. When I was 15 years old I told Leah and Becky that we would be SIL's someday, and six years later, it happened. These girls were some of my best friends growing up, so we have been tight from the beginning. I have the best mother-in-law. Seriously. (And I am not just saying that in fear that she may read this. I know she never will read it because I don't even think she knows what a blog is. She barely can dial a cell phone :)
The Hegstrom-Young-Rain family

This picture was our funny SERIOUS picture. Gabriel was driving me nuts, so I decided to do the cute hang-your-kid-up side down-pose. Look at all those grandsons we blessed Warren and Sue with. There are five pictured, and two more (and ONE girl) not pictured. Those Hegstrom men sure have full quivers. We were so happy to spend the evening with Jason who was home from a cooking program he is doing in Missouri. And it was great to celebrate in Leah and Joe's beautiful new house!
Uncle Jay got Gabriel some spy gear


christmas morning
Christmas day the boys woke up to an egg bake done by daddy, a few sweet little presents (including legos for Max, spy kits and "worker guy" vests, a wooden truck for Eli and cooking stuff for Gabe. Christmas was modest this year. We didn't have a lot of money to spend on gifts, but what we got was very intentional and things that the boys actually had specific interest in. We are so glad that our boys felt loved that morning.

Mmmmmm egg bake...


Matt and I didn't get gifts for each other. We said we'd get gifts at tax return time... which I was totally fine with. But Matt did sneak some Ikea chocolate and the movie Harry and the Henderson's in to my stocking. So romantic right? :) I started to feel bad that Matt didn't really get to open any gifts. He LOVES presents. The night before Matt's mom and dad blessed us with two generous gift cards, but I think he was wishing for more tear-off-the-wrapping-paper kinds of gifts. Oh well, tax season is right around the corner right? Matt had to go out and do a little bit of plowing, so me and the boys ate more egg bake and watched Harry and the Henderson's.

christmas night at my house

whoa. tons. and tons of gifts.

we ate mom's beef stew and soda bread
It was wonderful. We ate, we opened a ton of gifts, and we got to spend the evening snuggled close (since my house is not huge and there were 20 people!) Matt and I were TOTALLY blessed. Matt got to tear open carefully open lots of presents. Including a Magic Bullet Delux (fancy right?), a tough guy Arctic Cat sweatshirt, and.... ready for this? A freakin' XBOX 360 complete with kinect. Our kids got more legos and cooking stuff, and wooden blocks. It was a great night. 

We also were blessed with a family night at Mall of America gift. Complete with ride passes and dinner. We went this last Sunday night, the kids were excited beyond belief. 

new years'
I watch a sweet little girl during the week, and her mom decided that she wanted to bless us AGAIN (after the MOA gift) by watching our kiddos so that we could go out for New Years'! So Matt and I got to go to dinner, and then we got to go and hang with our friends.
potstickers at Big Bowl

kitchen floor confessions with Waty and Rachel

after an intense game of catch phrase and battle of the sexes, we all remain friends

i gave watson a quick stroke of midnight updo

Needless to say, our holidays were wonderful and we were blessed more than we ever could have expected. We are so grateful for a Living God that is worthy of celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment