Sunday, September 29, 2013

Hospitality RemiX

When we were searching for our house, the number one important trait was that it would be able to be a gathering place for our friends, family, and our community. We wanted a home that people would feel comfortable, where they would feel welcome. We wanted our house to feel like a place of respite. We imagined beautiful conversations taking place in our living room as coffee brewed and children happily played. We dreamed of a huge basement playroom. We wanted a great (fenced in) backyard where kids could run and play and be safe. We also imagined neighbor kids running in and out of the house. We wanted our house to be the hang out spot for our kids and their friends. We imagined meals taking place with friends and family at our big dining room table.

I imagined our house would be, oh, at LEAST 2,000 square feet. And I imagined it would be in the heart of St. Paul. Then we began the search, and guess what? The typical house in St. Paul is way less than 2,000 square feet. I began to feel discouraged when all the houses we were looking at were closer to 12 and 14 hundred square feet. All my dreams of huge Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas parties, birthday parties and craft nights soon diminished as I had to face the reality of inner-city living and the tiny houses that came along with it.

The house we fell in love with only had three bedrooms. Which was perfect for the 5 of us, but then there was no room for a craft room or a guest bedroom. Huge bummer. The basement was as old-house- basement-y as they come... AKA not a dreamy playroom. We loved it though because it had the big (inner-city "big") fenced yard, and a wide open 1st-floor plan, which is not common for the houses in our area. At only1340 sqft, we decided to take a chance on it and make it work.

So I had to change my mindset.

If people came to stay with us, no they wouldn't have their own room and guest bathroom. But they could have a comfy couch to crash on, or even a room to themselves if they didn't mind sleeping in Max's room. This last summer we were blessed with more than a few opportunities to host friends and families. We even had a family of SEVEN stay with us for a few days. We made it work, and it was wonderful!

And we don't have a gloriously huge playroom to send the rascally children to. But we do have a three season porch full of half eaten PB&J sandwiches toys, blocks and a big comfy couch. And we do have a big fenced-in yard with a swing set (it was free!), a Barbie Dream House super spy head-quarters, a mini-van cozy coupe and a tractor to ride on.

We also have many worms (who apparently love riding in trucks)
and many places to dig in our outdoor playroom.

I don't have a craft room to host a craft night, but I do have a big dining room table to spread fabric on. And hardwood floor space to be able to lay chicken wire on frames for stapling.

Our dining room can't host a huge Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it can host 12 children eating PB&Js and apple slices. And it can comfortably seat a few tired mamas as they sip coffee, nurse babies and chat while their little ones scream and fight and spill goldfish crackers all over the place quietly play. And during the more pleasant months we can host a pretty great birthday party, open house, baby shower, cocktail party, girl's night or grill-out in that back yard of ours. It lights up beautifully with lights hanging from the tree.

I love LOVE loVe having playdates at my house.

It's better feeding kids outside anyway
Grilling out was so fun this summer. Especially when uncle pete and auntie m were here.

Our cocktail party last year. 
Christmas was nice and cozy last year. I think we had a little under 20 people over.
We ate in shifts at the dining room table. We made it work, and everyone was happy.

So if you are like me, and you love opening your home to those around you, never let insecurities like oh my house is too small stop you from doing so. Change your heart, be thankful that you have a space to invite people in to. Change your mindset, your house is good enough (even if it is only big enough to invite one small family over, or even a couple of friends or neighbors).

I want to encourage you to open up your space and let people in. You can start with me and my family. Or just me. (Or just my kids? My kids would love to come and be in your space. I would love for them to come and be in your space too. Preferably on a Friday night... )

Okay, it's late. That was just on my heart and I felt like sharing. I am in a season of trying to be more joyful and thankful. That ish is hard, but I am working on it. 

Good night friends.

7 comments:

  1. Even with a 2000 sq foot house, there isn't enough space to seat 20 ppl without gettin creative or putting ppl in different rooms. We have set up a folding table through the living room and then broke it down after the meal. Good for you for not letting the house size stop you. Look at the fun memories and good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Keturah! Have you guys had new friends over to your house there? How many can you squeeze in at your new table? :)

      Delete
    2. This house is smaller. Our table seats 6. We regularly eat with our 4 plus our empleada, and sometimes her son. On sat, we had 7, and last week we had the neighbors (4) over, plus us and Flor. We brought our patio table and chairs inside. Where there is a will, there's a way. It was especially important to Dave to host people. We have been trying to make bigger meals... If we have a chance, we can invite someone in and have enough food, or else we have planned-overs for another meal!

      Delete
    3. My grandmas house was under 1900 sq ft. With 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. She raised 11 (yes 11!!) kids in that house, now add on atleast 2 grandkids from each child. (I have 32 cousins total on that side) And we celebrated easter, mothers day, sunday brunch after church, etc at her house. It was just the place that everyone knew as their second home, it wasn't cramped it was cozy. It's not the size of the house, it's the warmth and love and friendship that surrounds the house!

      Delete
    4. I'm so glad to hear that Melissa! It is true, the more te merrier. Coziness and family are all that matters when the holiday season is here.

      Delete
  2. Our house is so much the same... 3 bedrooms...small... no basement, but it's what we could afford. I often don't have people over because of the space. We do cram people in for birthdays, a baptism, etc., but I am often reluctant to host just normal things. I'm glad to know someone is in the same boat and working on being more joyful and thankful. I totally needed this! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you can relate Becky. This morning as I walked home from dropping off my son at the bus stop, I stopped in front of my house and my heart swelled with gladness. It's amazing what can happen when we hold every thought captive and truly choose joy and thankfulness.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete